Tuesday, January 20, 2009

burnin' down the house.

I've never been in a fire. But last night, I was afraid my house was going to burn down.

At 1 a.m. I came out of my room and I was overwhelmed by the smell of something burning. I thought it was the heat at first but the heat doesn't have the same smell. I woke up my mom and we went throughout the house and the smell was everywhere, and even worse outside. Our house is old so we thought maybe something electric had started in the walls and we just didn't know it. My mom called the fire department. The dispatcher told us to go outside and wait in the car just to be safe. Here are the things I grabbed before I went outside: my dog, my purse, my journal, my cell phone and a picture of my dad. Luckily, the firemen looked through the entire house with their fancy thermal imaging camera to look for hotspots. They didn't find anything. Evidently, somebody had been burning something outside. Or there's a meth lab down the street.

I've always wondered what I would grab if my house caught on fire and I had to make a quick escape. Now I know.

I just can't imagine losing all the stuff I didn't grab.


This is Lucy during our wait outside.

2 comments:

ugly wife said...

you definitely think quicker than me. i'd be standing in the snow without car keys. actually, i'd be too scared to call the fire department.

i have had to call them for a small electrical fire but insisted they not dispatch a fire truck. they were like, "mam, you'll want a fire truck if your house is burning down." i told them i'd take my chances. they flipped the breaker, told me to call an electrician, and left. i was relieved to avoid the commotion.

bivalish said...

i totally didn't expect them to bring a fire truck. i thought some old volunteer fireman would come to inspect. they really bring out the big guns for a suspicious smell.